Monday, September 5, 2011

Loads of Fun

So one of the things I read before moving abroad is about how difficult it can be to accomplish everyday tasks at first. In fact, it can be so distressing one author suggested making it a goal to do just one thing a day. Normally I'm a very task oriented kind of girl, so the idea of getting only one thing done didn't sit well with me. After a couple of exhausting first days we realized the one thing a day rule was a good one. It goes like this: we bought cell phones (using only our mediocre Spanish to negotiate) - check, or met with the real estate agents and signed our rental contract (with a translator present) - check, located the school, navigated horrific parking conditions and attended the orientation - check. While the one task a day doesn't excuse us to couch potatodom it does allow us to feel some measure of success. There is still all the basics that have to be done like navigating the roundabouts, finding a restaurant that is open when we are hungry (much harder than you can imagine for a number of reasons - later post), and assuring our kids that we are indeed going to have a home again soon, oh and don't forget learning Spanish at breakneck pace. 

 My heart yearned to explore beautiful Barcelona this last weekend. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't hit any tourist spots. Nope, not a one. I'm starting to feel a bit like I've lived a few miles away from Disneyland my whole life and never ever been there. Except that to me the city of Barcelona is way better than Disneyland and I've only lived here 9 days now. Still,  I'm desperate to see some of the famous architecture like 

or visit the Plaza Catalunya... 


Or simply just take in the beauty that is everywhere. I know it's there... 






But I am here, out in the 'country' 20 minutes from the city and my nose told me it was time to do some laundry. You know it's bad when it's your kid's first day of school and you are digging through the dirties to find something not 'too' dirty. I wince to admit. None the less, I'd been dreading the laundry since it would mean first, finding a laundry mat and second, hanging out in one. I've only used them a few times in the states and don't have fond memories. So, for my first solo adventure with the car I loaded up the trunk with most all of the clothes the five our us brought in our luggage. Yup, you guessed it the air freight still has not arrived. We are being told another 7-10 days now. Apparently, this is the way of all things legal / administrative in Spain - astronomically slow! But once again, I digress. 

To my delight I accidentally found the laundry mat while on a run into town the day before. So navigating wasn't hard. However back in parking is not my favorite. I braved it anyway for the sake of my poorly dressed Kindergartener. (Sorry about those dirty shorts buddy, your Mommy really does love you). I was proud to have found a spot only a couple of blocks away from the place. I knew I wasn't going to find anything close so I came prepared with the newly acquired and already worn out jogging stroller. I loaded the clothes in and made my way to the 'Lava & Lava' (translated : wash & wash). I love how the sign had a couple of English words on it to make me feel so welcome. 


Here's the jogger all loaded up with our laundry. I'll admit I got a couple of strange glances, like maybe I had a baby under all those clothes. I didn't care one bit I was pretty proud of my parking job and nothing was gonna break my stride. I know it doesn't look like a lot, but it was four heavy bags full and when you only packed a weeks worth of undies for everyone and they are all dirty, the situation seems well - more urgent. 


You all must think me very silly, but this little laundry adventure was kind of empowering for me a few days ago. I'm totally over it now. But at the time every new thing seems like a really big deal. Now, let me be clear the Lava & Lava is no laundry mat. It was a ultra clean high tech super tiny laundry facility (smaller than half of a one car garage). The operating system for all the machines on the wall was a bit daunting. I was staring at the words, trying to comprehend their meaning when suddenly a loud dialing sound comes out of a speaker followed by a booming voice "Señora, hay una problema?" ....  maybe that is what he said, I actually have no idea I was in surprised and a little scared. I thought maybe I was in trouble. I pushed the intercom button and said 'no'. I couldn't think of anything else to say, no I didn't need any help - I'm a big girl now. I guess he didn't see how I parked that car out there.  He spouted off a bunch more Spanish I couldn't understand as quickly as he spoke and I stood dumbfounded. Finally the yaking stopped and I went back to reading and was nearly ready to insert some dinero in the machine. Then in marches a very large man wearing tight jeans, a muscle shirt, some gold jewelry and enough sweat to saturate it all. I later deduced that the place is run by video surveillance and sweaty man was on duty. (Maybe he needs the employee discount).  However sweaty, he very kind to walk me through then entire procedure of adding money via paper, coin or loaded Lava & Lava card. He said the card was best if I was going to be doing a lot of laundry. So we went with that. 


He didn't speak any slower or attempt any English he just showed me around and explained everything in Spanish like I could understand him. He explained everything I needed to know: that the machines are loaded with soap (nice) and that the times and temperatures on the washers and dryers are adjustable. Finally he pointed out it's okay to leave since the doors and cannot be opened until the cycle ends. This place was the ritz of laundry mats. Check these baby's out: 


I found it very handy of them to provide these cute little matching laundry baskets for me to move my wets to the dryers. Here's the clothes all clean and ready to dry. I didn't snap any more photos of the rest of the process. I know you all know what clean dry clothes look like. What you don't know is that is smelled oh so fresh. Who would have guessed a laundry mat would be so lux! 


As if a bunch of fluffy clean clothes for the family isn't enough of a treat, God blessed me double. Let me explain. While there I met a young Spanish gal who didn't know how to use Lava & Lava. Since I'd just been given the grand tour, I was able to show her. Except, my Spanish was broken and babyish. But she got the idea. Then, I went for a little walk and found those pillows we've been needing at a little whole in the wall store. When I returned I ventured to practice my Spanish with said girl. When she learned that I had moved here she asked if I wanted a language partner.  She went on and explained that she has taken English all her life but needs to practice it in order to get the kinds of jobs she wants in the marketing industry. She said she's had dozens of interviews and been turned away because of her poor English. Do I want an language partner, um YES! Usually you have to pay good Euros to find one of these through a language school and here one walks into the Lava & Lava. She even has a car and is willing to meet me in parks with the kids.  Now hold onto your pantelones, here's where it gets really good. We exchanged numbers and talked further to realize she attends a local evangelical church (rare around here) planted by a church in Texas. Double blessing! The services are in Spanish, but there are a few English speakers in the congregation and it's nearby. Who knows what it will be like, but we are planning to attend next weekend. Needless to say, I didn't have to drive back to our hotel. I was flying. I just accomplished three things! Laundry, language partner, and potential church - check, check, and check! 

10 comments:

Suzy said...

OK, I actually got goose bumps reading this when you got to the part about meeting that girl. God is soooo good. I hope the language partner thing works out well and that you find a good home church soon.

MJ said...

Thanks for the update...never did I think that doing laundry could be so adventurous! Thanks for sharing with all of us and reminding us how much we have to be thankful for! I can not wait to here about your checklist for the weeks to come!

MJ said...

Thank you for sharing! We often forget how it is all the little things that make life so adventurous! You are definately being reminded...Looking forward to reading further about your to do list and all you are accomplishing and learning!

Christi said...

That is such a cool story...it will be a fun one for you to look back on a year from now.

Rachelle said...

I love hearing about your adventures in Barcelona!! It makes me miss my time in Spain. It was one of the best summers of my life.
Praise God for the little blessings he is pouring on you each day. I pray for your adjustment and adventures and your continued reliance on God to be your ultimate source of dependence and comfort.

maneuveringthemaze said...

“It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things.” Donald Miller

I know what you mean, that feeling of walking on air. A few weeks ago, I changed a bike tire "all by myself" and went on a 35 mile ride alone. Prior, I had never ridden alone, because I was afraid of having a flat. I felt so proud of my little accomplishment, you would have thought I built a bike from scratch and won the Tour de France. Since then I have taken several rides alone and it feels wonderful. Even at 50 I am still conquering the "little things".
Thanks for sharing your adventures, they are an inspiration!

Love ya,
Jennifer

Karen Lemons said...

I LOVE YOUR POSTS!!! I am totally choked up and laughed through the whole thing. You are amazing and incredible and brave! Wish I could write like you! Keep 'em coming!

Doulagirl said...

I LOVE YOU!!! You make me laugh and it makes me miss you. I am reading and cheering for you, so excited for these accomplishments!! Just think of what an expert you'll be when we come to visit. ;-)

Unknown said...

So happy to read this post Nicole...to hear that you're managing and figuring out this new way of life. I love to hear how the Lord is blessing you...as he always has. Miss you friend.

Grandma Shirley said...

Appreciate the pictures and verbal pictures too. Thanks for posting. Keep 'em coming. Sending snail mail tomorrow. Experiment
Love to you all
XOXOXOXOXOXO
Grandma Shirley