Thursday, September 29, 2011

Odd images from our first week


This post is well, three weeks overdue. The first week was a bit overwhelming, taking pictures was definitely down the list of priorities after finding something to eat, and managing our way about, um anywhere. However,  a few things stuck my fancy and I somehow finagled my camera out and captured them. 


A tiny terrace, as most are in the city. I love that people fill the space with fruit trees. I can't wait to plant a lemon tree in our garden. 



My first 'grocery run' at afore mentioned 7 eleven style store - we've come to adore the 'jamon' flavored potato chips. You won't find cheese flavored snacks here, but ham oh, yes!


This contraption, was indicative of our first lodging at the 'apart hotel'. There was no way this thing was going to dry my hair in time for me to collect retirement. Oh, wait I won't have any. Oh well. 


Nothing too exciting for those that have been to Europe. But. now instead of figuring out what state cars are from, we quiz the kids on what country from whence they've come. 


No such thing as a trash cute in apartments, folks have to walk their garbage and mandatory recycling down the street to the nearest eye sore bins. They perfume the air a bit, so they are easy to find. Our house has a cute little door in the outer wall of the gate / fence that you put garbage into on one side and the garbage man opens on the other and takes away the stuff. We still have to hoof it down the street to recycle... Um, "Asher, I've got something fun for you to do". 


This is everywhere. The Catalan's want free and many of us non natives just want to understand them (literally, why can't they just speak Castellano / Spanish?)


Carrer is the Catalan word for Calle which is the Spanish word for street. This is how I have to decipher 80 % of the language, twice! 


Enjoying a cup of gazpacho, some bread and wine with my love while we watch the kids exhaust themselves in the adjacent play structure. 


Something beautiful in our hotel garden. I dreamed about going down there to journal, but chores and obligations pressed in and time ran out before we left. 


My future place of pensiveness... a lovely tree in our upper back garden just waiting for the sweet little table and chairs to arrive so we can finally, sit together. 


Just an example of the GORGEOUS houses surrounding the kid's school just on the outskirts of Barcelona in Sarria. I'm dying for some of that lovely purple flowering foliage to grace our home. It's everywhere and SO pretty. 


1 comment:

Alishia said...

Nicole, those are bouganvilla! We have them all over down here, too, and they are super easy to grow. PLant some! Wahoo. They do have thorns, though, so they're not so fun to prune but lovely to behold. So fun to hear about what you're doing in Espana!